Friday, November 04, 2005

There is always hope

I wrote the following in Tuesday's blog, and I'm almost eerily haunted by it now:

"No matter how dire the circumstances or how badly we are mistreated, our lives have significance. It depends not upon the circumstances themselves or the people who seem to have power over us, but rather the very fact that we exist. No matter how lonely and rejected we may feel at times, there is always someone out there who will come to our rescue the minute they become aware of our need. There is always hope."

I usually write with as many details as possible, but this time it's not possible so I hope you'll bear with me. The specifics aren't as important as the overall message anyway.

On Wednesday morning I got some surprising news that a change was coming in my life, significant enough to alter my ability to focus on the book I'm working on now, my ability to co-lead 20Something, and even my ability to post blogs to this space regularly. Even though I felt stressed and a bit ill at first, I came to grips with it over the next couple of days. I began to feel a renewed determination to find a way to make it all work, and even a more accute awareness of the peace of God that is present in my life no matter what the circumstances.

There was a new development today that is a complete injustice and further complicates the situation, but as I step back and look at it objectively I think this may the thing that has given way to complete brokenness. By that I mean the circumstance has reached it's bottom point, and now real change and healing can begin.

This whole experience has allowed me to fully experience the idea that I wrote about on Tuesday, and that is, "there is always someone out there who will come to our rescue the minute they become aware of our need." This person is the whole reason why I began writing this blog today. I wish I could name him. But God knows him well and that's really what matters. This person is the most fair-minded individual I have ever met. There is no gay, straight, black, or white in his eyes. He listens before he speaks, he considers others' feelings before his own, and his loyalty comes with an unwavering steadiness that grows each time it is tested. He has been directly responsible for an incredible amount of goodness and success recently, yet he takes none of the credit. He is an inspiration to me. And he has come to my rescue this week.

These people are in our lives for a reason. They are tiny little reflections of God, reminding us that there is a greater power at work and that we are loved more than we could ever imagine. It's not hard to see. When the tunnel seems dark, the flashes of light are easy to recognize. I feel blessed to be able to experience the truth that we are never alone, and that no cirumstance is so dire that injustices will be allowed to have free reign over us. There is always a way out.

The effects of what happened this week remain to be seen, but with this angel involved and through the power of prayer, I know that everything is going to be okay. For that I am deeply grateful.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire your ability to choose happiness (yet another thing we have in common!) Whatever is going on, I have no doubt that it is in God's plan for you and that in time, it will all make perfect sense. I also have no doubt that He is smiling on your effort to see the good in all things ... even when you are scared/confused/upset. "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart". He knows your heart, Jen Austin! Stay faithful ... it will all work out. :-)

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home