Friday, February 17, 2006

Catholics who get it

I started teaching a class at a broadcasting school in Irving recently, which means I'm in the process of becoming part of a completely new group of colleagues and potential friends, and coming out is a natural part of that get-to-know-you progression. I moved past being nervous about potential reactions a few years ago, but it's always interesting to note those instances in which someone tosses you a big "coming out assist", a la Jason Terry to Dirk Nowitzki, and all you have to do is make a big gay layup. (That was for you Lisa). Angie set me up perfectly to come out Wednesday night, and we ended up having a great conversation.

She and I were killing time waiting for potential students to arrive at our open house, and the subject of church came up. I talked about growing up Methodist and having found a great non-denominational church now in Dallas. She grew up Catholic and attended church with her mom as a child then attended again regularly in college, but ended up leaving the church several years ago over an anti-gay sermon of all things. I wasn't expecting to hear that. She lived in Miami at the time, and although she's straight, she believes that homosexuality is not the abomination that the Catholic Church often professes it to be, and she feels so strongly about it that this hostile sermon actually caused her to turn her back on the church. That launched us into a coversation about my life and outreach, both of which she supported completely. Very refreshing.

It seems that the Catholic Church tries to project the image that all Catholics condemn homosexuality, but this just doesn't match up when it comes to real life experience. Just last week I got into a similar conversation with a straight male colleague at the radio station where I work, and although he and his family remain committed to the Catholic Church he disagrees wholeheartedly with Catholic edicts against homosexuality. He said he fully believes that God loves us as we are and doesn't expect us to change or somehow "be healed" from homosexuality. And about the often-stated fear that gay people shouldn't be around children, this colleague of mine said, "I know several gay people that I would love for my children to be around and be inspired by, and at the same time I know several straight people that I wouldn't let within a hundred feet of my kids." Seems simple, but not everyone is able to disconnect sexuality from the goodness or badness in people, to this extent at least. Perhaps these minority Catholics have always existed, or perhaps they are growing in number. I definitely feel like God is moving regarding the issue of homosexuality and the church and trying to let the truth be known that there is wholeness in being gay, and I'm sure these folks are part of God's process.

Later Wednesday evening another new colleague of mine at the broadcasting school mentioned that he often googled people to discover history and interests, and I immediately realized that I had probably been googled as well. So that's why Angie was so quick to bring up the gay subject. Nice! When you're out in cyberspace, you're out everywhere. Angie could have been sent on an office mission! Regardless, the sentiment that I am loved and supported "as is" remains, and the lines of communication are open. Again, part of God's process.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

woo-hoo big gay lay-up! you go dirk!! :)

sounds like it was a really cool convo... :)

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home