Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ash Wednesday

I grew up Methodist, and we never placed much emphasis on Lent. I always thought it was a Catholic thing and since I knew God would love me just the same whether I observed Lent or not, I never put much thought or effort into it.

God started to stir in me a little bit more during college and I ended up observing Lent several years in a row by giving up chocolate, or peanut butter, or any of the other food-related usuals (Never caffeine. Believe me, God wants me to have caffeine), but it wasn't until recently that Lent really started to mean something to me.

No matter if I give something up, add a new discipline, or just sit and think long and hard about what Jesus did for me, Lent changes my focus. It's a powerful reminder about the costs that can be associated with choosing to pursue God. And when I see it through all the way to the end, it becomes incredibly transformational in the way that I become increasingly willing to make sacrifices in God's name. It may seem that Lent is about scaling back and sacrifricing various pleasures, but the result is the exact opposite -- a richer relationship with God. I don't suppose I should be surprised--God often adds blessing to sacrifice and grows it into something bigger than I could ever have imagined, whether it relates to exercise, commitment to prayer, tithing or anything else that requires a good bit of discipline. I make the move; God magnifies the effort.

It seems odd to wish you a "Happy Lent" since it is such a reflective and pensive time, but that's what I'm feeling right now. I hope you enjoy Lent as much as I enjoy it. It can be a difficult time, but that's exactly why it's so empowering. I'm happy to have immediate access to such a profoundly loving God, who brings comfort and healing during even the darkest of times, and 40 days of renewed focus always brings me a step closer to realizing the scope of what exactly that implies. I think I'm only at the begining.

It's funny, but as I grow in my relationship with God, my being a lesbian becomes less and less relevant. God may lead me toward sacrificing Peanut M&M's if they become an obstacle that gets in the way of what's important in life, but since my being gay includes the ability to love more deeply than I ever thought possible and goodness stems from it, God uses it to funnel more love, peace, and joy into my little corner of the world, and teaches me about the impact of love that continues to overcome.

So, Happy Lent. May it be truly transformational...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

PEANUT M&M"S?!?!?! C'mon Jen...isn't that a bit extreme! Chocolate & Legumes all in one!?!?!?!?
I too am feeling moved this Lenten season...I have decided to give up extra pounds?!?!?! No, really, for the first time in my life I am feeling really drawn to Lent and its true meaning. I can already feel the strength of my relationship with God growing.
But since I can't be serious for very long...Happy Lent right back at ya!

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home