Tuesday, July 18, 2006

To the person whose comment inspired the last blog...

I know how you feel. I used to want to believe more liberally, but the fear that my church might frown upon me was enough to keep my thoughts right in line with the masses. I was afraid to think too differently, because "different" might have carried the connotation I was rebellious, and therefore wrong. I didn't want to float around out in the margins by myself. But I finally realized that a majority opinion doesn't automatically equal a correct opinion, and it was at that moment that I think I pleased God the most. I was forced to have faith.

It's really not about right and wrong for me though. It's about the way God works in my life. It's not always about what other people teach me. It's about what God teaches me. God certainly works through church congregations and religious leaders, but I don't believe God necessarily imparts wisdom solely to those in power, expecting it to filter down so that everyone is blanketed with the same beliefs. God can work with us individually. If we end up in disagreement with another Christian who seems to be just as convicted as we are, well that's faith. Perhaps God really does work in mysterious ways. "Groupthink" has its advantages, but I don't think it matures us spiritually. I've grown the most when I'm way out on a limb.

Other Christians don't always agree with me, my parents don't always agree with me, friends don't always agree with me, etc. But at the same time, God has introduced me to just as many people with whom I'm in perfect harmony. Again, it's a matter of faith.

It's hard to say where exactly the journey of faith will take each of us. As we mature, we could develop an ideology that veers to the right, to the left, or in the middle. Our thoughts may begin to fall in line with one particular church or another. Or we may spend the rest of our lives out on a limb, with only God and the birds to visit with. But as long as we're studying, praying, and making every effort to move toward God, I think we'll be spiritually fulfilled. We just have to be careful that we're tuned in to the right guide. That is, don't choose the voice of the church over the voice of God.

I'll pray that each of us will be able to hear the voice of God with greater awareness as we mature. Keep in touch! Best wishes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home