Tuesday, June 20, 2006

"A burden of love for the homosexual community..."

I received this email last week. It's a great illustration of the black and white mentality that plagues many Christian denominations.

This person admits "not being 100% sure" about some things, but seems to be totally convinced of others. I'll never accept an argument in which someone else is convinced about what is or isn't sin in my life. The Holy Spirit is able to convict me of sin on an individual level, and has not done so about homosexuality. My selfishness at times, yes. But sexual orientation is a non-issue. I make daily attempts to give my whole self to God--the lesbian part included--and God embraces me fully.

My favorite Rev. Piazza quote comes to mind right now. "The opposite of faith is not doubt. It is certainty."

I haven't heard back from this person since I sent my response. That's usually the way it goes. Once they realize I'm a "lost cause," they give up. Thanks to God for the steadiness and grace.

There is so much to say on the subject. I can't possibly be thorough in this space. I'm keeping a file of these emails so I can respond in books. It's still looking like the first will be out in August and the second hopefully in 2007. In God's time.

Here's the email.

Jen,

I just have to say that I am sincerely sorry to you and every other individual that has ever experienced hate of any kind. You are correct when you say that that is not from God. Our God does not hate individuals, He hates sin. I personally have always felt a burden of love for the homosexual community, and my church feels the same way. I do consider myself Baptist, but first and foremost a follower of Christ. Neither I, nor my church preach words of hate and condemnation. BUT... I do believe in the absolute infallible truth of the inspired word of God, and there is no mistake or misinterpretation of what God says on homosexuality. He is a big and graceful God that can and will heal someone of sinful desires and lifestyle. I simply don't understand how you can read the bible any differently.

I am not %100 sure on whether people are "born gay" or not. There are scientists and psychologists on both sides of the aisle that can "prove" they are right on that subject, but just because someone is born a certain way, it does not give them the right to sin. If someone is "born" wanting to molest children, it doesn't make it alright if they do. Now don't misunderstand, I would NOT compare a homosexual to a child molester, I am just comparing sexual sin to sexual sin. Don't get me wrong, I truly wish that I could ignore that God speaks against it because I do know and love many homosexuals - even in my own family. Some people say "love the sinner, hate the sin" but I say (something I heard from Dennis Jernigan, an ex-gay Christian composer and musician) simply "love the sinner, hate my own sin."

No, it is not my job nor my desire to condemn anyone, only simply to extend the love of Christ, which is what I try to do every moment of every day (although like everyone, I make plenty of mistakes). Even though I do not condemn anyone, the Lord absolutely, positively does condemn the SIN (not the sinner). I believe wholeheartedly that does not send gays to hell, He sends anyone who does not believe in His son, Jesus and makes Him Lord and Savior to hell. Believe me when I say that I love you, and so many people like you and you know that Jesus does too, but sin is sin. Praise God that there is One who delivers us from all condemnation from that sin if we simply confess it and turn from it.

One last thing, if you truly do have an open mind - go to www.loveinaction.org. Again, I love and pray for you - and I pray God's blessings on your life.

In Christ,
X

In response...

Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful note. I appreciate it. I'm familiar with Love in Action.

It's great to know that you and your church don't preach hate or condemnation. But really, by not trusting in my ability to experience God fully as a lesbian, you are condemning me. I don't think the Bible is quite as clear on homosexuality as you make it sound. I know that your church tradition has taught against homosexuality consistently and there is no mistaking that. But a church's teaching (or a church's interpretation of the Bible) is not infallible. Other churches teach different things and interpret the Bible differently, and that's just as valid. I mean the word "homosexual" wasn't even introduced until the 1860's. How do you explain its appearance in modern translations? Homosexual acts are addressed in the Bible regarding older men keeping younger boys, homosexual rape, etc., but homosexual orientation is never addressed. There is no mistaking that.

I respect your opinion and I know your intentions are good. You're just moving in the direction you believe God has called you to go. That's great. My life and my experience with the Holy Spirit go in a completely different direction. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Thanks again for writing. I hope you'll keep in touch. I'm always willing to learn more about what you believe.

Have a good weekend,
Jen

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jen, your friend Brady here. The grace in your life continues to astonish me. Although Im ashamed to say that becuase I should not be suprised. Its Christ in you. I think this brother is well intentioned as you say and I hope that at some point this doesnt have to be the "dividing wall of hostility" Paul spoke of that keeps us in seperate "camps" and that keep us from being in community with each other. This is a hard issue for conservative and liberal ones, that is; How do we maintain the fellowship of Christ without being devided on these issues. Now as I write this, I hear the rhetoric of my conservative friends accusing me of "jumping ship" and the see the speculating eye of my liberal friends wondering what Im up to. Lets (all of us)keep pressing into each other as we pursue Christ and His Kingdom. There is nothing more important than this. Now you know I tend to be a little on the radical charismatic side, but I feel Jesus is coming very soon and the thing that would please Him most is to take as many people with us to meet Him as possible. Jen, You ROCK. Keep serving Jesus!
Grace
Brady

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home