Friday, September 09, 2005

The Freedom to Be

This week at church a friend of mine slyly slipped some folded up papers into my hand and gave me a wink, as if she were signaling the transfer of some highly secretive, illicit material. One glance at the glossy newsletter paper and I knew what it was. I had mentioned months ago that I would like to get my hands on a bit of this dangerous, incendiary propaganda. At last, hot off the presses, the Exodus International monthly newsletter.

On the top of the front page The Exodus Impact is in bold print. The mission statement follows; Proclaiming to, educating and impacting the world with the biblical truth that freedom from homosexuality is possible when Jesus is Lord of one's life.

All things are possible with God. But what if freedom from homosexuality is not necessary? I'm not going to spend time restating the things I've said in previous blogs, but I believe God is the author of homosexuality and that God fully accepts and loves us as homosexuals. To attempt to gain freedom from this overwhelming source of love would simply be evidence of our own private fears. We are not captives. There is nothing to gain freedom from.

There is one word that pops up throughout the newsletter in reference to homosexuality, and the use of it puzzles me. Take the end of this sentence for example. "...committed to the restoration of families affected by unwanted homosexuality." And this one. "...reaching out to those who struggle with unwanted same sex attractions." Usually, unwanted refers to something that is a nuisance or detrimental to one's well-being in some way. I realize I'm just one example, but I'm happier than I've ever been, I love my partner more deeply each day, and I am continually awed by the intensity of the Spirit that lives inside me. It seems to me that any catalyst that would come along and ruin that would be the unwanted thing.

The dictionary says to be unwanted is to be uninvited. Something uninvited would come from the outside. It would not well up from within as homosexuality does. Mosquitos, telemarketers, and nasty rumors are uninvited pests which attack from the outside. Homosexuality is a natural, same sex attraction that quite peacefully springs forth from the core. Since same sex attraction is a chemical reaction over which one has no control, it doesn't hold up to say it's uninvited. It is true that there are probably folks out there who would rather not be gay and face the associated hardships, and in that case homosexuality is truly something unwanted and uninvited. In my experience most gay folk eventually make peace with it. Either way, participation in a week-long retreat and a good bit of follow-up therapy to make it go away will do nothing to change the homosexual root.

One section of the newsletter contains an update from United Methodists. (The Methodists have an Exodus-affiliated ministry called Transforming Congregations.) I grew up Methodist, so this peaks my interest. Basically, Methodists agree that GLBT folk are of sacred worth and are welcome to attend Methodist churches, but the Methodist section of the Exodus newsletter says, "...because homosexual behavior is incompatible with Christian teaching, self-avowed, practicing homosexuals may not be ordained as clergy, denominational finances may not be spent on pro-gay causes, and same-sex unions may not be celebrated. In reality, the denomination struggles to hold disobedient members accountable to these stated agreements."

I know many Methodists who are much more understanding and compassionate. I don't think these words echo the sentiment of all Methodists.

If a church only wants that part of me which will blend most easily into its current demographic makeup, I would just as soon read my Bible at home. If God accepts us wholly and celebrates our relationships, it seems to me that our churches should do the same. Of course, many churches don't have the understanding that God envelopes us to this degree.

Reading the Exodus International newsletter gives you the sense that many Christians still understand homosexuality to be a behavior that one can practice or not practice depending upon will and circumstances. To practice something requires a great deal of effort and concentration, but I think I'm pretty gay just sitting on the couch staring off into space. Somehow that is more acceptable to these Christians than going out on a date with my partner of seven years. A date constitutes practicing. But why would God give us a gift and require us to keep it under the Christmas tree all year? Whether I'm "behaving" in a homosexual manner or not has no bearing upon my homosexuality. Among many Christians, the act of accepting the truth that I am a lesbian is interpreted as disobedience. It may be disobedience to church doctirne, but accepting one's own homosexuality is not disobedience to God. I think God is moving in the world now in a manner that begins to convey the truth and significance of that. But there are still thousands of Christians in leadership positions who refuse to believe, and they are doing their level best to subdue the movement and prevent the truth from being fully revealed.

It's all so fear-based. Ministries like Exodus International label their targets as disobedient so that they can claim power and authority and demand respect. Churches cling to their finances and disallow spending on "pro gay causes" because doing so would be just a little too radically inclusive and it might subtract from other, more noble causes. Anti-gay doctrines and traditions remain in place because removing them could call into question entire belief systems and shatter faith. But what is faith if it is not challenged? Rather than retreat in fear and cling to power, money, and the status quo it seems it would be better to open up to the expanse of God and ask what other ways our minds can be effectively blown.

Homosexuality is not incompatible with Christianity, only with misguided Christian teachings. And these misguided teachings are doing a good bit of damage to the hearts and minds of those they reach. This friend of mine who passed the Exodus newsletter on to me is no longer associated with the ministry but she still receives the newsletters. I've only known her for about a year, but it's obvious to me that this ministry has left a remarkable scar and has contributed to a deep-seeded uncertainty about where exactly she fits in in the family of God. She has attempted suicide more than once. Other coping mechanisms have failed. She is broken. And yet through it all, you can't help but notice the effervescence of God coursing through her like a current. Her heart is pure. And as she continues to break free from the emotional chains that keep her from immersing herself in love, she will heal. Without Exodus.

It may be true that homosexuals need freedom. But not from ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home