Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Scot Pankey's Devotion

Scot wrote this devotion after last week's 20Something meeting.

Amen Scot!
Jen

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am yourGod; I will strengthen you, surely I will help you. Surely I will uphold you with My righteous hand. Isaiah 41:10

We have this great group of young adults at Cathedral of Hope called"20Something." This past Wednesday night in our weekly class, we talked about our future. One thing that was brought to my attention when we discussed the future of our government, country, world, and personal lives was there was so much fear. Let me just give you a short run-down of our fears that we discussed. Fear of people continually dying in a useless war. Fear of having government leaders in this country who lie and abuse power. Fear of not being able to love and marry whom God has brought in their lives. Fear of not being able to adopt children that need loving, nurturing, and healthy homes. Fear of not being able to find a job. Fear of rising gas prices. Fear of the religious right forcing their beliefs on them without even knowing God's knowledge or truth. Does the future really look bright for our young adults?

Yes! And let me tell you why. There was a life changing moment in our 20Something group that night. It was a moment that I believe will change our world and God was right there in the center of it, leading the way. We discovered that, (to quote a line from the movie Network) "We're mad as Hell and we're not going to take it anymore." We're not going to sit by and cowardly depend on others to make a difference in this world. We are going to take a stand, and not let fear run our lives. We are the ones that are going to make a difference. God has called us to be beacons of light. To shine forth the truth in this world of fear.

How can we do this? We claim it in Jesus name. We look to Isaiah 41:10 and we know that God will give us strength. God will comfort us when we have those fears that paralyze us and dominate our thoughts. But my favorite line from this verse is "Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." What comfort that brings to me. I think of when I was a child and my parents holding me up inthe air. I felt free and alive! Nothing was going to harm me. I was safe in their hands. We have that same promise and protection from God. When we take a stand for truth and justice, no need to fear, the whole world is in God's hands. Dear God, may we have the courage of Christ. To stand and be heard, to speak truth and to show others that You are not a God of fear, but of HOPE. Amen

Devotion by Scot Pankey
Minister of Evangelism, Youth & Young Adults
Cathedral of Hope, Dallas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home