Thursday, March 09, 2006

Brady's comment, repost

For those of you who don't automatically see comments or click to read them, here's a repost of a great comment left on the 3/6 blog, and my response to it.

Brady said...
Hello Ms. Austin, I want to thank you again for coming to the conference. And while we may disagree on some issues, I don’t believe it needs to be a point of dissension or give us any reason to refrain from building community with each other. I do appreciate you quoting me, however, I do believe it’s important to quote me in context. You wrote: Although one ex-gay speaker admitted, "Without Christ I would be back in the gay bars tomorrow," so perhaps one never truly reaches the level of "ex-gay." In that case, I'm sad for this fellow, who has become convinced that wholeness in God cannot be achieved as a gay man" I did in fact say this. It’s also important to note that I also said it was, at one point, not my intention to be anything but gay and Christian. I framed what I said by explaining that in the process of regaining an intimate relationship with God, I drew the conclusion that I was not gay. My aim was not “gay”, it was and is God. I left my identity on the altar and asked Him to respond. I know this is hard to believe for some, but nonetheless it is my experience. I would add to that statement that I am neither gay or ex-gay and that these types of labels are limiting terms that don’t describe the whole “self”. I’m happier than I’ve ever been, so please don’t feel as if you have to show me pity. As an American, I enjoy the privilege of self-direction and my life decisions follow suit. I noticed on your website here that you list the personal qualities you admire most as:Qualities you admire - Self-awareness, reflection, individualityQualities you don't - Narrow-mindedness, narcissism, self-righteousnessIt seems to me that we would get along just fine if we had the opportunity to know each other. Which reminds me, by the way, I’m still waiting to hear from you about my invitation to have coffee and discuss your views on the conference. You see, I really don’t have an agenda. I really want to know. Would you be willing at the very least to let me lend you my ear in hopes that we can build bridges to understand each other rather than drawing inaccurate conclusions about one another? In my view, the gay/straight debate has gone on long enough. Our focus as Christians is to reveal the love and compassion of Christ to those who have yet to know it. We are exhorted by the directives in the New Testament epistles to love each other purely and to be devoted to each other completely. Let’s mutually decide to move past the agendas and exemplify The Kingdom of God. I hope you will give me a chance by hearing what I really have to say.

My response:

Hi Brady -

Thanks for taking the time to write the thought-provoking comment on my blog. It was grace-filled and poignant and I enjoyed reading it.

I've been writing and revising the article for the Dallas Voice all week and haven't had much time to write follow-up blogs or respond to emails. Sorry about that. I would enjoy sitting down and visiting over coffee sometime, and hearing more about your experience and how you view things.

I didn't mean for the blog to come across as if I felt sorry for you. Perhaps if I had written that blog after four days of intense thought and writing rather than Monday morning, it wouldn't have taken that tone even slightly. I'm glad you're happy and I agree that we will probably get along just fine if we have the opportunity to know each other. I too agree that God wants us to build community and hope that you and I can be one of the bridges that carries out that vision.

Let's hook up for coffee soon. You can reach me at...

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home