Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Getting out of the boat

I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed lately with the upcoming release of the book and all of the things that could be and should be associated with that. Marketing and distributing are huge undertakings. Part of the problem is, I'm not all that experienced at this and I don't have a clear cut strategy for how I'm going to accomplish the things I need to accomplish. That's where the overwhelming feeling comes in. It's in the uncertainty.

Even in the midst of uncertainty, the peace of knowing that I'm on the right path is present. That's the way God has always worked in my life. There may be a whirlwind of stress swirling about, but right in the middle of it is a calm that tells me everything is going just as planned. If I start paying more attention to the stress than the calm, that's when I start having trouble.

It's like Matthew 14:30, when Peter got out of the boat and started to walk on water. He was steady as long as he kept his eyes on Jesus. The second he noticed the wind and other potentially sabotaging external factors, he started to sink. After Jesus pulled his sorry butt back into the boat (and mine too, by extension), he said, "Oh you of little faith. Why did you doubt?" I wonder. It's so simple really.

After I worked out this morning and was getting ready to take a shower, I thought about the things I need to accomplish this afternoon. Follow up with my webmaster about the store, enter some things into Quick Books, work on the marketing strategy, work on Book #2 a bit more so it can be released on the heels of Book #1, do laundry, pet the dogs, go to work... And the stress prompted me to burst into song. I started singing to no particular tune, "Oh how I wish I had better control of all these things...dee dee dee de dee dee dee..."

Oh the irony. A better handle would be nice. But singing that stream-of-consciousness, impromptu tune caused me to realize that this is exactly where God wants me to be. As soon as I belted out the word "control," I laughed, and I knew. I'm in a tight spot where I don't have ultimate control, and am forced to trust God to show me the way. I have to have faith.

Ok God, you win. I'm not ever going to have control of the wind or the rain or anything else swirling about, but I do have control of my focus. I'll try to maintain it, and trust you to sustain me. In other words, I'll do my best not to retreat back to the safety of the boat. Unless it's a nice, comfy and smooth pontoon. Okay, okay...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home