Friday, May 12, 2006

God shows up at Starbucks sometimes

I just got home from having coffee again with Brady from Living Hope Ministries, so I'm in a great mood. I feel like I got my God on today. He's an amazing source of love and goodness. Being with him for an hour makes me feel like I've read the Bible during that time, and I'm sure that makes God smile.

Brady said something to me today that really stuck. He reminded me about something I said the last time we met for coffee, and he said it made him think and forced him to really respond from the heart. He said no one had ever posed the question to him this way before. I can't actually recall the exact way that I phrased it and posed it to him, but it's okay because if I misquote myself I don't care. I won't sue. I think I asked him something like, "Do you think I'm a lesser Christian because I'm a lesbian?" Brady thought about it for a minute during that first meeting and said "No," and he reiterated that today. That sentiment alone knocks down a million walls and allows us to have an honest spiritual relationship with one another. He trusts in my ability to hear from, and experience God, and I trust in his.

His experience as a Christian led him away from homosexuality while my experience as a Christian includes homosexuality, but we can still sit at Starbucks on a Friday morning and talk about God's character, share stories about the ways that God is moving in our lives, and fold our hands and close our eyes and pray earnestly at the end before we go our separate ways. The gay thing is so irrelevant in the grand scheme! Jesus is the point and Brady is a great reminder. I love that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW. It sounds like this is a good friendship. I'm glad Brady doesn't think you are a lesser Christian

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home