Friday, April 21, 2006

Positive influences

I've been out here in gay Christian cyberspace for awhile now and I've received plenty of emails from fundamentalist Christians who think I'm nuts, but this week I got my first email from a real, live fundamentalist preacher. It was only a matter of time.

The emailer asked me to check out his website and said, "Let me know what you think. I would love to be a positive influence in your life."

Of course. Since I'm gay and Christian and okay with it I must be misguided and in need of a positive influence to "straighten" me out. Interesting.

I responded with, "Thanks for taking the time to write and say hello. It's nice to hear from you.
We can all use positive influences, so maybe I can be one for you as well. Please keep in touch..."

I always want to surround myself with positive Christian influences and I have no doubt that this fellow could be one. But not if his agenda is to get me to change my sexuality. That's between God and me, and if my experience as a gay Christian is wholly positive he has to respect that.

How come some people don't trust in my ability to hear from God and live as an empowered Christian? Does my sexuality cloud their vision so much that they can't see God in me? I would love to ask the fundamentalists these things, but they usually don't stick around long enough for me to have the opportunity. Once they figure out I'm a lost cause they're gone, leaving me to my "sin" I suppose. That's okay. I'll continue to seek answers.

Praise to God for being the ultimate positive influence.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least he was civil, which is more than I can say for a lot of folks.

It's easy to see the God in people. Just takes a little practice.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home