Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Maybe God forgot

Angela and I went for a walk last night and talked, and the typical happened. I told Angela I felt like I was insane for reasons A, B, and C, and she then spent the next ten minutes introducing reason and sanity. She's so good for me. Just like God, no matter how many times I come to her with the same ole stuff, she stays patient and always manages to make me feel sturdy.

We talked about gifts and purpose, and as I was moaning on about whatever the stress of the moment happened to be the question arose, "Why doesn't God give us compatible gifts?" I mean God gives us more than one ability, more than one gift, and often more than one purpose. But God's sense of humor is tied to all of them! Sometimes they don't quite match up. Why not give us gifts that mesh?

For example, God gave me the gift of an insatiable internal drive...so much that I sometimes think I could pave a road to China with my teeth...but God didn't include the completmentary gift of patience. Did God forget that I would need it? Shouldn't determination and patience be a package deal? The lack of patience can drive the drive plum crazy.

Angela has the gift of hospitality, but she doesn't really know how to cook. Silly! What was God thinking? I guess that's where I come in. God decided to give Angela the most opportunities to be hospitable once we had been paired up and I could take care of the culinaries.

I suppose it's not so much about what has been bestowed upon us, but what will be developed within us. I know God is good like that. I just have to develop the patience to fully discover what that means.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home