Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Music diet

I'm on a strict music diet right now. The way I see it, Christian rock is a good source of protein and I'm overloading on that while trying to stay secular/carb free during Lent. Pink is fantastic and I love her, but she's a huge carb indulgence that I just won't allow myself right now. I can't have my Hootie and the Blowfish either, even though the name leads you to believe they're a lean protein. Nothing but Jars of Clay and Third Day I say.

I started this new music routine a few weeks ago as a way of forcing myself to focus on something besides my own little world while I'm driving and the results have been incredible. Every time I start to stress out or emotionally wander off I turn up the spiritual tunes and force myself to focus on the message. Fighting the urge to flip over to some Blackeyed Peas was hard at first, but it has gotten easier as the weeks have passed. And I've found myself craving the messages...as long as the artists aren't smiling while they're singing. That's a huge pet peeve of mine. If I can tell they're grinning from ear to ear while they're singing they immediately become "golly gee" to me and they lose credibility. I don't mean to judge; it's just a matter of personal taste and I can't stand the grinnin'. Rock out and I love it. Anyway, as I've forced myself to stick to this inspirational music diet, I've numbed out to a lot of the things that had worried me and I've had a lot more peace.

And strange things have happened just out of the blue. When I met with Brady a couple of weeks ago he gave me a Jason Upton CD to listen to. I added that to my rotation and I love it. And last week at church, Jim from 20Something gave me 2 CD's that contained some of his favorite songs; about 19 songs on each CD. I don't know all the artists, but I recognized Third Day, Leigh Nash, and a few others. Great taste Jim! I think God wants me to stick with this new routine even after Lent.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool! if you like the harder rock/metal stuff, check out flyleaf... although not labeled a "christian" act, there are definite undertones, and i think they're great!! sort of like evanescence but harder... if you're into harder stuff, i mean :)

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read this blog yesterday afternoon and decided to listen to Christian music on my way home from work. It's been a l-o-n-g time since I have popped in a worship CD. Thanks!!! I have been overly stressed at work the last couple of weeks, and the music helped a lot. I also listened to Christian music as I drove into work today, and I felt more relaxed.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been listening to a lot of Jason Upton and Mercy Me (whom I absolutely LOVE). I'm not a fan of the grinnin', either (or Jazz hands).

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home