Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A big fat turkey sandwich is always nice

I'm blessed by turkey today.

I baked it on Saturday lathered in sage butter, topped with turkey bacon, and basted in maple syrup. It's so tender and juicy it falls off the bone. When added to a soft roll and topped with mayo and horseradish cheddar it almost makes me fall over it's so tastey.

I'm sad and anxious today, and this turkey sandwich is the one immediate thing that serves as a source of immeasurable joy and goodness. It is going to take my mind off of stress at home and at work, and it will light me up from the inside out, if only for a moment. I wonder if it knows it will have that dramatic an impact. Oh, the turkey pressure. The sandwich is not even that big. It's just a little potato roll. But in it there is just the tiniest bit of greatness, and it reminds me that God is good, loves me, and will continue to nourish me no matter what.

We found out yesterday that our first attempt at artificial insemination was unsuccessful. The odds of getting pregnant on the first try were stacked heavily against us, but I've never really paid much attention to odds. I figure if God is involved, anything can happen. But it didn't this time, so now we're picking up the emotional pieces and getting ready to try again. There is just so much fear and uncertainty involved. But then, that's faith. We know God has brought us to this point, we know God is at work and will bless us at the right time and in the right way, and we just have to stay committed. That speaks volumes about so many different things in life.

So today, the focus is on simplicity. A walk/run outside on a beautiful autumn morning, an email from a mom who hopes my book will help her daughter know that she can be a lesbian and still love God (that one made me teary-eyed), and this big fat turkey sandwich.

I suppose this is what it means to enjoy the journey, huh God? You're right then. There is always a blessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home