Saturday, June 03, 2006

Good Ole Alabama Homophobia

Check out this conversation between my friend Sara and a guy named John who sought her out on myspace just to rant. He sent a similar message to me, but I didn't write back. Sara handled the situation with a lot of patience and grace. Awesome!

His original message is at the bottom.

----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: John
Date: Jun 1, 2006 1:08 PM

OK, so I don't know where I expect this to lead...I am not even sure why I feel compelled to respond to you. First of all, you are welcome to speak your opinion, but please do not attempt to speak for all people. I am an American too and I don't hate gay people. My parents are both staunch Bush supporters and thanks to life experience and education, they don't hate gay people. As far as looking down upon lesbians more than those who have children out of wedlock, I didn't realize that God's grace was limited and reserved for lesser sinners. We are all sinners and to what degree, God doesn't care. What does matter is that you acknowledge your sin and ask for forgiveness. There is no need to compare your sin to that of another by deciding who's sin is worse. I don't expect that I will change your mind regarding homosexuals, but if I can make you consider the root of your anger and hatefulness, even for one second, then I have done something good. Each of us has a personal relationship with the Lord that others may or may not ever understand. One thing I do know though...God is filled with love, not hate. I pray that someday you will find it in your heart to choose to love those that you may not understand before jumping directly to hate.

Sara

----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: John
Date: May 30, 2006 3:23 PM

America hates Gay people. You live in Texas as your profile says...That's a red state filled with many conserative thinking people, like me. Conservative Republicans don't like lesbians or other people who choose to throw out the bible's belief that homosexuality is a sin. We Republicans believe that homosexuality DESTROYS moral values for our children here in America. That's why we hate Democrats like John Kerry who believe in stupid gay marriage. What an asshole he is! Oh, and by the way...Christians look down more on you than me. A young man with a son looks a lot better and healthier than a lesbian. I pray you people change your ways. For my children, for your children, for America's future, change your ways. America is a lot safer when homosexuals are not destroying our values and FREEDOM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home